Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Pandora's box

I remember some horror scenario discussions in secondary school. One was that a Russian politician, who believed Finland should still be part of Great Russia, would come to power and... The other was that a ultra right wing man called Heikinheimo would become influential in Finnish domestic politics. Well Russian threat seems quite remote at this point (never knows, might change...) but the internal Finnish politics is what worries me. The name Heikinheimo has been replaced with the name Soini but the effect is the same.

There is a clear, open, negative atomsphere towards the Swedish speaking minority. I have now listened to interviews of the election winners "Authentical Finns" for two days and what I hear makes me very very sad. I was born in this country, my parents happened to speek Swedish and we happened to live in a neighbourhood with mostly Swedish speaking kids. I learnt Finnish (pakkosuomi) by memorizing the 15 causes and later by emigrating to Jyväskylä as babysitter for a summer. Still, I have never EVER considered myself anything else than Finnish. Finland is my country, I have no other home country than this, my both grandfathers fought for Finnish independence at the Russian border and December 6th has always been a solemn day for me. I just happened to speak Swedish. I would not even say that I am part of what some call (especially my husband likes to use this to annoy everyone around him) the small clic of "Swedish better people" (coming from the past when the Noble of this part of Sweden spoke Swedish). My background is just as plain and simple as of any average Finnish person.

Comments such as "everyone living in this country must speak Finnish", "not everyone in this country need to speak Swedish" has a true saddening effect on me and my identity. Although I speak seven languages, some better, other less fluently, I always feel that my Finnish will never be good enough, not to myself and not to these nationalist fanatics... Still, I do not understand these arguments. If you live in a small fishing village out in the arhipelago of Ostrobotnia, where no one speaks Finnish - do you really need to be fluent in the language of the majority? If you want to continue living there the rest of your life? Shouldn't the argument go both ways? If Finnish speakers do not need to speak Swedish, why on earth do Swedish speakers need to speak Finnish?

I am not an historian, but what I learnt in school is that it cannot be determined who was on this soil first. Swedish speakers might have been populating the west coast long before it was incorporated under Swedish rule. Language was really not an issue back in those days, it became as issue as Finland was to fight for its independence, against Russia. Or do you really think that every common boy could go the only (Swedish) university just because his language was Swedish? In those days it was only the upper class that went to school, whether Swedish speaking poor or Finnish speaking poor, you had no business in school nor university.

This arrogant attitude from the election winners is now spreading to others, who now think it is legitimate to say their REAL opinion out loud or picking a fight with Swedish speaking teenager after a night out on town (happen to friends of mine back in the 90s, seems to be happening still today). I just want to say; whatever feelings you personally have based on personal experience of encounters with Swedish speakers (I can admit that there are annoying ones, just as there are annoying people of all kind of nationalities...); please remember these attitudes are NOT NICE for those of us who have no other home than this and who wants to live in peace with our countrymen. We are all Finnish for god's sake, can't we all get along?

And yes, I'll confess, I am in favor of PAKKOruotsi (obligatory Swedish), just as I am in favor of PAKKOsuomi (obligatory Finnish), PAKKOenglanti (English), PAKKOmatikka (maths), PAKKOhistoria (history). I think we are lazy by nature and will not learn anything if we do not have to. And we do have to learn. Or esle what will become of this society if we do not even know the basics of how to get along? That is something we learn from school, from PAKKOkoulu!

7 comments:

Andrea said...

BRAVO MIA!!! My thoughts exactly!!!

Mia said...

Thanks Andrea. Appreciate your support. Really do!

Softy said...

Jättebra och jag håller med! Jag tycker också att det här persuklimatet börjar kännas farligt då det plötsligt är helt tillåtet att lufta sina rasistiska åsikter.
Det enda jag inte håller med om är att jag aldrig har tyckt att det är jämförbart att säga varför vi måste lära oss finska då de inte behöver lära sig svenska. Jag tycker ändå det är en självklarhet att man ska kunna tala majoritetsspråket. Jag är inte heller entydligt emot "pakkoruotsi". Jag tror inte att det är det enda sättet att trygga svenskans ställning i Finland.

Mia said...

Sofi, du har tydligen inte tillbringat så många dagar ute på landsbygden i svenska Österbotten. Det finns ställen där finskan är lika onödig som svenskan vid östgränsen. Jag säger bara att argumenten borde vara gångbara på båda språken. Om det är valfrihet som gäller så gäller det hela befolkningen, annars kan du lika bra skippa nationalspråket svenska.Själv skulle jag aldrig ha låtit bli att lära mig finska, och inte skulle jag låta min barn göra det heller. Men hur många österbottningar har inte flyttat till Sverige för att undgå finskan i vuxenlivet, och det FAST den är obligatorisk i skolan..

Pakkoruotsi, har funderat mycket på det och jag håller med; ingen lär sig om de inte är motiverad. Men jag tycker ändå att också omotiverade elever måste gå på svenska timmen, bara för att lära sig att det existerar svenskspråkiga i detta land och vi måste kunna visa respekt åt varandra. Ta bort pakkoruotsin och rasismen, pga okunskap, ökar ännu mer.

Softy said...

Du har en bra point! Svenskaundervisningen är viktig rent ur en civiliserande synvinkel. Du fick mig faktiskt att tänka om där! Men jag hävdar ändå fortfarande att du som en minoritet inte kommer undan att lära dig majoritetsspråket. (Sen kan man ju förstås fritt välja att flytta till Sverige.) Men att ta bort pakkofinskan (Jag fattar ju att du inte säger att det skulle vara ett alternativ!) skulle bara öka segreringen ännu mera. Och det gör det också om vi väljer att leva isolerat i vår lilla ankdamm.

Mia said...

Exakt, och därför är det alltså helt omöjligt för mig att tänka att pakkoruotsi skulle bli frivilligt, för då skulle ju finskan i rättvisans namn också bli frivillig.

Erika said...

Spot on! I totally agree with you Mia and it's very very sad to see how many people in this country disagree with us. :( We have some interesting times ahead of us... Let's just hope that these Persut don't get anything too drastic done while populating the governmental house!