Sunday, February 6, 2011

Chapter 2. HEL-CDG

We kill time at Helsinki Airport.  Kids playing, running, crawling around on the floor. At this point, I remember my mom having said to me how she had observed some small children at Buenos Aires airport, crawling around on the dirty floor. She had visioned how  "those could be my grandchildren in a few years". At that point I did not have a boyfriend, but obviously my mother had grandchild fever. Now 10 years later I have to recognize that she was right. Her grandchildren do crawl on airport floors to get to see a grandmother on the other side of the globe - only that the granny is not she.

Plane is late, aprox. 45 minutes. I look at hubby and read he thoughts: "I TOLD YOU SO, 2 HOURS TRANSFER IN PARIS IS TOO SHORT". Well hey, I have done the transfer in less than 55 minutes before (may it have been without kids, without Schengen passport control and with the terminals next to each other).

The flight to Paris is no vacation. It is obvious that G lack the grace of flying with which his older sister has been heavenly blessed. A small (normally only domestic) plane filled with tired business people just do not cheer up the spirit either. But we make it to Paris without further delay. A falls asleep five minutes before hitting the ground, G annoyed because his is not sleeping.

After a slow bus transport to the terminal we start our marathon from terminal F to terminal E. With G in the baby carrier on hubbys tummy and A in the hotsling on my shoulder and three pieces of hand luggages (>10 kilos each) we run. Luckily the airport is almost empty. But still, the distance between terminal F and E feels like an eternity. Finally passport check, no lines, thank you! We sprint to the shuttle train. Until here, A has been screaming incessantly "Let me down, I dont want to be in Paris, I want to sleep!". My response to her sudden tantrums has been nothing to be proud of either. Main point; we make it and now only another security check and we´ll be at the gate. Boarding has only just started. We will make it with or without luggage. What a relief ! Chile here we come!

No comments: