Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Just-In-Time Family Rumba

G goes to the park in the morning. Between 9:15 and 11:15, 3 days a week. In a neighbourhood, 3 kilometers from home. We have exactly 45 minutes time to make it back home, cook some food and eat before it is nap time for him. Because when he goes to the park, hubby takes A to daycare before they serve breakfast. This means that we have to be picking up her by 2:45 p.m. in order to respect our current daycare contract. And so that G gets enough time for his nap, he needs to be sleeping by 12:15-12:30. This Just-In-Time schedule is challenging, to say the least. Especially as the family possess only one car, and it is in its rightous use by the working man. So far I have depended on the local buses (the Joker again, but in the other opposite direction from the theatre we went to the other day) and cookies to keep G awake on the way home. Now when the snow is gone, I have started to bicycle to the park. Logistical excercise with the time restrictions as an effective way of improving my physical condition!

Well, all this means that the food has to be ready to be served when we get home (both lunch and dinner, since we usually get stuck in a park on the way home from daycare and the kids are dead hungry once we get home). This combined with my newly discovered Wise Choice wisdom requires quite some planning, at least in the beginning. So today, second day of my lifestyle change challenge, I admit to have slipped in my wise choices. I bought some premade soy meatballs for lunch. In my defense I have to say that I also served my son some quinoa and broccoli. And as usual, he ate all he was served.

For dinner we are supposed to have chick pea burgers. I still have to hunt down some tamari at the local grocery store. Let's see if Hagamarket can meet my expectations. I'm also planning to make wheat- and sugarfree chocolate muffins. Haven't baked anything in 4 months!  The silicone muffin forms are getting dusty...

No comments: